Top 10 ways you know that being a human rights activist and a mom of 3 infants & toddlers are of high importance in your household…
1) Instead of keeping my kids away from ‘bad influences’, all three have been watched and/or held by former prostitutes, recovering addicts, orphaned children, and HIV positive men, women, and children.
2) My children have passport pictures that were taken when they were under 6 months old.
3) Since pregnant women can’t take malaria meds, I have been known to be dressed head to toe covered up in 90 degree weather in Africa, trying to ward off malaria-bearing mosquitoes.
4) In the console of my car, I have sippie cups and Starbucks cups. Under the seat I have flip flops and high heels. In the trunk I have suit skirts and bathing suit coverups. In the dash, I have a zoo pass and a list of jail visiting hours.
5) My current diaper bag says “Abolitionist” on it.
6) I have product (red) onesies from birth-2T.
7) I have suits from Ann Taylor sizes 0, 2, 4, 6, and most recently, 8!
8) My son (biological) once asked me if I remembered the time he was once a Russian orphan… ??
9) All 3 kids are named after the Beatles, who are known as political and peace activists. (Lucy, Jude, Sadie Natalya)
10) I was once laughed at by 2 nonprofit directors– One thought it was hilarious that I offered to ‘open up’ Ethiopia for him. Another, when I told him I wanted a job like his, responded sarcastically that he doesn’t “actually HOLD the babies”. And so instead, I opened up Ethiopia for my nonprofit, while also always make it a priority to hold EVERY baby I can in the villages/orphanages we work- -while also holding MY OWN 3 babies. What a life!!!
P.S. I almost accompanied each of these with pictures to prove them all, but thought that might be too ‘lawyerey’ to document the evidence–